WHAT WE DO
We are veterans of the insurance industry. Our 35 attorneys come from diverse backgrounds and have decades of experience in insurance and reinsurance, including in the areas of professional liability, technology errors and omissions, media liability, privacy, and cyber. We have nearly 50 professionals and staff, with attorneys practicing in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and New York.
We are a committed group of professionals dedicated to excellent client service using the latest technology. We have deep experience in the following areas:
Technology, Privacy and Cyber: Coverage Advice and Monitoring
Our attorneys have acted as coverage and monitoring counsel for London Market and domestic insurers on tens of thousands of claims involving policyholders around the world.
- Technology errors and omissions claims, including software implementation disputes involving large projects and failures of technology hardware functionality.
- Data breach coverage work in regard to incidents ranging from individual events to the largest data incidents impacting the financial, education, hospitality, and retail sectors.
- Class action lawsuits and regulatory proceedings flowing from data breaches and privacy violations, including the alleged unlawful collection and use of data.
- Claims involving phishing attacks, D-DOS attacks, ransomware / cyber extortion, and business interruption resulting from cyber incidents.
- Social engineering schemes resulting in fraudulent wire transfers.
- Class actions alleging violations of privacy statutes including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), and the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA).
- Intellectual property claims, including copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and trade secret misappropriation, brought against policyholders ranging from the smallest startups to Silicon Valley’s powerhouses.
- Matters alleging disparaging website content and online defamation.
Professional Liability: Coverage Advice and Monitoring
We represent global and domestic companies insuring the world’s largest professional-service firms, including architects, engineers, attorneys, accountants, real-estate agents, brokers, and other professionals. In this capacity, we regularly:
- Represent insurance towers that exceed $250 million, including primary and multiple excess layers.
- Distinguish ourselves with our creative resolution of claims involving the world’s largest construction projects, often with values in excess of $1 billion.
- Analyze risks attendant to legal-malpractice claims arising from complex underlying transactions and litigation.
- Advise our clients and their insureds on risk-management practices; risks posed by mergers, acquisitions and consolidation of firms; and cutting-edge legal issues such as cyber exposure.
- Negotiate commercial resolutions of multi-party, multi-disciplinary, and multi-jurisdictional disputes.
- Counsel insurers regarding complex coverage issues, loss reserves, and defense reserves.
Other Lines of Insurance
Our team has extensive experience in numerous other lines of insurance coverage, including:
- Employment-practices liability (EPL)
- Commercial General Liability (CGL)
- Directors & Officers (D&O)
- Nursing-home liability
- Medical malpractice
- Miscellaneous errors & omissions (E&O)
Our experienced litigators have represented insurers in contentious coverage disputes including trials, arbitrations, mediations, and other proceedings.
We assist insurers with drafting language for standard and bespoke insurance policies.
We advise InsurTech clients on regulatory compliance, industry entrance, and start up issues.